Saturday, December 20, 2008

African Nativity

When Amy was in Africa, she brought home a special Christmas present.
Christmas Corn Dolls, according to the label. I might call them cornhusk dolls, or figurines even. Here they are all nestled in their very small box.

Let me introduce you to Mary and Joseph. Mary has quite a svelte figure, considering she just gave birth.
These are the three wisemen.

And here is a shepherd and his sheep, hanging out with the donkey.

Out of the whole set, Mr. Donkey is the one who struggles to stand up on all fours. Kind of appropriate for a stubborn donkey, don't you think?


Here they all gaze upon a very tiny little Jesus, all snuggly in his swaddling clothes.

I love to see different cultural interpretations of the nativity. This one is quite a bit different from my other set, but the story the figures tell is just as powerful!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Jesus wasn't black. This thoroughly offends me. I shan't look upon it any further, for fear it may sully my virgin eyes.

Lori R said...

And I'm pretty sure he wasn't a pink-cheeked towhead either as depicted in my other set. But that's not the point. The point is he came. He came to save. Even those with "virgin eyes."